Thursday, September 20, 2012

Gourds!!!! .....finally

Well sad to say this was taken before the freeze - now the leaves are a bit black.  But this is the gourd patch that I grew in the straw bales.  I did get 3 nice size cannon ball gourds.  Now if they would have taken off this well in the beginning I can only imagine the success I would have had! There is only one straw bale under all that.  3 planting holes  with 4-5 seeds in each.
 Heres my first "prize"  I didnt even see it forming - then as I was walking in the yard Sat there it was like a jewel looking at me!  Its about 10" top to bottom. Thrilled would be a understatement. We have not had alot of success growing gourds so a few that make it to harvest stage are great!
 This is a apple gourd - I found 3 of these beauties!
Now comes the LONG process of drying them. But I have a great bowl of goose egg gourds from last year on my table.
Hmmm think I will try the bales again next year and maybe just maybe we wont have half the summer be over 90 and dry.  Then oh what a crop I could have! 

No comments:

Post a Comment